Get Involved

Get Involved–You are the Expert

Your voice is needed to help make changes to the foster care system. The groups and people who make foster care policies and legislation need to hear from you so that decisions are made that are truly reflective of the needs of foster youth. There are several ways to get involved with making sure your voice and perspective is heard by decision-makers.

Volunteer with the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman!

Foster Youth Volunteers are needed to assist the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman make presentations on the Foster Care Ombudsman Program to foster youth groups, group homes, shelters, judges, and other child welfare professionals. Volunteers will also assist staff on a variety of projects while working hours flexible to your schedule. Call 1-877-846-1602 to apply, or e-mail

Join the California Youth Connection!

The California Youth Connection is an organization developed by foster youth. The youth members are between the ages of 14-24. Currently, there are 22 chapters and over 300 members in California. Foster youth members of CYC are assisting their county and state in making the foster care system better and breaking the stereotypes of foster youth. For more information, call the statewide CYC office at: 1-800-397-8236.

National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD)

The Chafee Foster Care Independence Act (FCIA) of 1999, required the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) to develop and implement a data collection system to track the independent living services provided to youth, and develop outcome measures that may be used to assess a state’s performance in operating their independent living programs. View the Fact Sheet.

Start a Youth Council at your group home!

Licensing regulations state that youth have the right to form a resident’s youth council in group homes that will work on making the group home a better place to live for all the residents. The Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman can help you start a Youth Council if you are interested. Call 1-877-846-1602 for more information.