File a Complaint

Can your Office resolve my complaint?

It depends. We have the jurisdiction to address complaints related to foster youth and their care, placement, services, and rights. We do not have the jurisdiction to change court decisions, case plans, or address personnel issues. As an ombudsperson office, we have the ability to choose which complaints we want to investigate further and which complaints we want to refer to another agency.


How do I file a complaint with your Office?

You can call our office at 1-877-846-1602, email us at, or fill out the contact form below to file a complaint with our office.


How do I report child abuse or neglect?

If you suspect that a child’s health or safety is at risk due to abuse or neglect by parents or another caretaker who has custody of the child, call the Emergency Response Child Abuse Reporting Hotline of the county Child Protective Services where the child resides. If you believe a child is in immediate danger, please call 911.


How do I report a foster home or Group Home/STRTP (short-term residential therapeutic program)?

If you have complaints about a foster family home or your group home, such as the quality of the place or how you are being treated in it, contact Community Care Licensing (CCL).

Community Care Licensing Division

PH: 1-844-LET-US-NO (1-844-538-8766)

744 P Street, MS 8-17-17
Sacramento, CA 95814

You can also call the closest CCL Regional Office of where you live.


How do I report or file a complaint against a social worker?

If you have complaints about how a county social worker or other county employee treated you or performed their job duties, please contact their supervisor. You can get their supervisor’s contact information by requesting it from your county social services agency. You can also send a letter of grievance with the county’s Child Welfare Services Director for resolution. 

If you are a current or former foster youth, or if you have concerns about a foster youth and their care, placement, services, or rights, contact us! When you call us to file a complaint, we will:
  • Listen to your concerns;
  • Document your complaints;
  • Gather all relevant information;
  • Remain neutral and impartial;
  • Help resolve complaints; and
  • Give feedback on what to do.

Contact Us


Office of the Foster Care Ombudsperson

744 P St., MS 8-13-25
Sacramento, CA 95814


File a Complaint

Toll-free hotline
MS 8-13-25
744 P Street
Sacramento, CA 95814